Getting divorced doesn’t have to wreck your kids’ lives. Sure, divorce is always going to be hard on kids, but there are things parents can do to help their children get through these tough times as best as possible.
Here are 5 good tips for divorcing parents to follow.
- Never try to pit your child against the other parent. Children deserve the opportunity to have healthy, loving relationships with both parents. You should never try to make them choose sides.
- Control your anger and bitterness in front of your kids. Divorces are nasty, but you really need to make an effort to keep the fighting away from your children.
- Do your best to come up with shared rules for the kids with your ex. Having uniform bedtimes, curfew, etc. can create a more stabile lifestyle for your children.
- Make sure your kids always know that both parents love them and will continue to spend time with them. It’s important that your children feel especially loved during this time.
- Reassure your children that they are not the cause of your divorce. Children have a tendency to blame themselves when their parents separate.
Helping your children through a divorce isn’t going to be easy, but if you follow these tips, everyone will be better off in the end.