Modifying Child Support After Divorce in Florida

When you get divorced and you have children, you probably either negotiated child support, or a judge determined the appropriate amount. That child support was based upon a number of factors, including your income and the needs of your children. Of course, those factors change over time, which is why you may find yourself in a position to request a change. Modifying child support after your divorce in Florida is possible, if you meet the requirements and follow the regulations for requesting the change.

Modifying Child Support

girl-883012_1280If you have a court order for child support in place, then you can file for modification as long as you have a “substantial change in circumstances.” These changes can be a number of things. The most common is income; if your income changes and you can no longer meet the required payments without some financial difficulty, then it would be helpful for you to follow the procedures required to file a child support modification.

Of course, a modification request can be filed if your income rises, too. There is no definite amount by which your finances must change before you can make a request. That means that the parent receiving child support can also file a Supplemental Petition to Modify Child Support if he or she believes the paying spouse has an increase in income.

A substantial change in parenting time may also be a reason to request child support modification. A child’s needs and related expenses are also reasons to request a child support change. Anytime something changes substantially in the child’s life, there may be reason to request a child support modification.

At Miller Law, we know Florida divorce. We also know how to make it easier and more affordable for you. Call us for all your divorce needs in Florida, including modifying child support.


Comments are closed.